Sunday, January 8, 2012

Things I Never Saw Myself Doing

As I'm making my laundry detergent and fabric softener this afternoon, I'm thinking to myself "I never dreamed I'd be doing this!". And it's true. If you'd have told me when I was in high school that I would be one of those moms who like making laundry detergent and using cloth diapers, I would have laughed at you. I would have said.......God had someone invent commercial laundry detergent and disposable diapers for a reason.

We didn't start out using cloth diapers with Wheeler. I really thought our sitter wouldn't have wanted us to do so, but when he was 13 months old, and I knew John would be getting laid off, again, soon, I asked her if she would mind. Come to find out she'd used cloth on her own children. The when we had to look for a daycare, we found one that didn't mind the cloth! The cloth diapers started out as a money saving venture, but it turned into an obsession. Cloth diapers are just CUTE on baby bum!

I'm not sure what brought about making our own laundry detergent. I was talking to my sister about it one day, and come to find out she had been thinking about it as well, I started about a year and a half ago, and I'm still using the same batch of ingredients. (of course we didn't use the homemade detergent on the cloth diapers, for you cloth mamas!). It is super simple to make, and I've had no trouble with it taking everyday stuff out of clothes. I've also made homemade fabric softener and love it. We tried our hand at homemade dishwasher detergent, and well, I don't know if it was the recipe or my clunky dishwasher, but it wouldn't dissolve, so we nixed that one.

Those who know me well know I love a good deal. I guess this is one reason I like to do the above, as well as coupon, but it is all definitely not something I thought I would be this into.

No comments:

Post a Comment