Thursday, July 14, 2011

Summer Yumminess!

Is that even a word?  Yumminess.  I don't care if it's not, that's how I would describe my morning today.  My sister and I went to The Fruit and Berry Patch  in Halls this morning and picked blueberries, peaches, and apples.  The blueberries were so sweet and juicy, it was hard not to constantly eat off the bush!  I went to pick last year at a different place, and while the berries were good, they must have been a different kind because they weren't near as sweet or big.  Maybe it's the difference in the weather, but I don't think so.  We picked peaches, while getting dive bombed by some sort of insect, we never could figure out what they were.  The peaches are so sweet and they smell so good.  I can't wait to get my hands in them tomorrow.  The apples were just starting to ripen, but I think we got enough to try our hand at some homemade applesauce.  The people at The Fruit and Berry Patch were very nice and very helpful.  I am glad we decided to go there.

Tomorrow should be fun!  First we are going to start on peach preserves.  This will be our first time trying this.  I had never even made jams or jellies until this summer.  I grew up watching dad make jars and jars of jams and jellies, but never really participated.  So far the bluberry jam and strawberry preserves I've made this summer have been delicious.  We are hoping to get done with the preserves to make the applesauce.  The blueberries went into the freezer for blueberry cobblers, syrup, dumplings, and to go into smoothies later in the year!  I love savoring summer's goodness all year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment