Monday, August 8, 2011

The Weight of the World

The cricket outside my bedroom window doesn't seem to care that it is after midnight and he should BE ASLEEP!  I realize he is one of God's creatures, but God's creature should have some common courtesy.

I am not usually one who is bothered by noises at night, I mean for pete's sake, I teach first grade.....we are all about noise, but for some reason, tonight, this little guy is bothering me.  So as I was lying there, trying to slumber, my thoughts kept wandering to a conversation John and I had earlier.  We were talking about how the financial market in Europe isn't looking so good.  Now, I, by no means know much about all this, I am not a political type person (though I probably should know more than I know.)  My thoughts kept going to the future, and how, if things are harder every year, what's it going to be like when Wheeler is an adult.  All of a sudden I felt like the weight of the world was on my shoulders.  Not necessarily something that is going wrong in our lives at the moment, but the weight of the future.  I felt suffocated.  I did the only thing I knew to do, I started praying.

I am not one who normally worries about the future at all.  I tend to think it is wasted energy to worry about what might happen later and I try to live in the present.  I started praying for God to take away the worry and to help me remember that I can't change everything, I can make good decisions for me, my family, and the world I live in.  I can try to make the world a beautiful place for those around me, including my son.  I can raise him to see the brighter side of things (which I tend to do, I think.)  I prayed that we, as parents, will make the choices and guide Wheeler in the Lord, to take care of what we have, to be grateful for what we have been given, and to cherish each other.

I truly felt better.  But that cricket kept talking.

Now I shall pray that I will be able to get some sleep, despite the cricket.

No comments:

Post a Comment